Monday, June 11, 2007

Baby Nap Bootcamp


So for the last couple of weeks, we have been having our "Baby Nap Bootcamp." We are very fortunate that Ethan and Ella have been sleeping through the night for a couple of months now. Napping is another story though.....

Prior to out bootcamp, I had been rocking them to sleep and praying that they sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time. I did this because it was what I had to do to get them to sleep and because I just liked the snuggle time we had together : ) I would put Ella in her Aquarium Swing and rock Ethan to sleep. Sometimes it would take 5 or more minutes to get Ethan to give up the fight and finally go to sleep. Then I would get Ella up and rock her for a little bit and lay her down. Sometimes Ethan would wake up then and we would do it all over again. It was pretty tiring.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and start laying them down while they were still awake and let them cry it out for a little bit. At first I would go back in a check on them periodically so they knew I hadn't deserted them. Ella did fantastic. She would grab her blankie, stick her thumb in her mouth, roll on her side and go to sleep. Ethan gave it a good fight. I swear I have never heard anyone who could cry SO pitiful. For the first few days, I think I cried as much as he did. They are now doing great (most of the time). They are sleeping twice as much during the day and also are sleeping much more soundly at night. In addition, they are also eating better because they are more well rested and don't fall asleep during their bottles. It has made an amazing difference in my day. I always have time for a shower and Eric always appreciates that! And during their longer afternoon nap, I can actually get some things accomplished around the house. And sometimes I can even relax. Last week I just floated around in their baby pool and read a book. I looked like a dork, but it was heaven and we have a tall fence : )

No comments: