Monday, June 18, 2007

First Teeth, First Big Roadtrip, and First Father's Day!


We have had a big week! Ethan and Ella have been working HARD on 2 bottom teeth each. People have been telling me for months that they were teething because they were drooling so much. Well the day is finally here! And now Ethan is drooling double time. I swear the kids drools at least a gallon a day! And he thinks spit bubbles are hilarious - particularly after he gets some Oragel : )

We went on our first big roadtrip to Macon, GA. We went to go see a friend from college, his wife and his 16 month old boy twins. We left Thursday night so we could drive through the night so the babies would sleep. Nice theory and it worked for the most part. I am so proud of them. They did really well even though they were sleeping in a strange place in Pack N Plays. The room we stayed in had room darkening shades and a box fan. I am adding those to my list of "must haves" for parents (along with Jumperoos, Baby Einstein and Linkadoos) Eric went to Home Depot to get them as soon as we got home yesterday. They napped so much better! Apparently, we just have to trick them into thinking it is night time and have some really loud white noise! The only bad part about the trip was the ENTIRE trip home. It was about 6 hours and Ethan cried/whined/wimpered about 80% of the trip home. The only time he wouldn't cry was when I was singing along with their Baby Counting Pal toy (oh add that to the list too) Well Mama can only do that so much..... But we got home ok and they went to bed at 6 last night. We weren't far behind!

It was neat (and a little scary) to watch the twin boys. I think I will have no problem dropping the other 5 pounds I would like to loose once they are mobile. I think I have no time to sit now!! They were EVERYWHERE. We have a ways to go before they are walking. They are getting closer to crawling though. Ethan can pretty much roll anywhere he wants to go. He also gets on his knees and rocks back and forth. Ella is perfectly content to lay on her back and stare at her hands or her Linkadoos. I can't blame her - they are aweful cute hands. She is very much the type that will watch Ethan struggle, learn from him, and then do it with no effort a couple of minutes later.

Since we spent most of the day on the road, Father's day wasn't as big as I wish it could have been. Eric is such a great father. I think he had it the hardest when I was pregnant. Do you know that he stayed with me almost every night in the hospital on a pleather pull out bed? Then after an awful night sleep, he had to go to work everyday while I laid around and watched TV. So Ella, Ethan and I worked on a very special Father's Day project for Eric. We made a wall hanging that had them spelling out "We Love Daddy." I took a picture of them each day holding a different letter, then spelled them all out in a 20 x 30 frame. I was really pleased with how it turned out.

Mimi and Papa got moved in safely last week. They came over tonight for a belated Father's Day celebration. It was so nice to get to see them and know that we don't have to wait a month to see them again. Dad is leaving on Saturday to go to Ghent then Sydney. I imagine after a couple of stressful weeks of moving, he is anxious to leave the country and his house of boxes!

1 comment:

Grandma Sharon said...

I love the blog--I enjoy Deidra's so much and I will faithfully check yours--those babies are precious--Love to all of you